Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Say What?

So there I am, minding my own business, walking through the HEB parking lot when all of a sudden from behind me I hear, "Yo, mommy what's good?" Now, I can overlook the complete lack of English speaking grammar in that question; I can even look past the fact that it was yet another sleazy come on from a hommie at the Riverside HEB. What I had a hard time swallowing was the word, "mommy." Boy, I ain't yo momma.

Apparently, among my generation, a trend has formed in which you are to refer to your significant other (more often than not, in a strictly physical situation) using the slang terms "mommy" or "daddy." Come on. I can't be the only one that finds that disgusting. I have one daddy and his name is Terrence Alan Grisham. I have called him daddy since I could speak and that will forever change. So the thought of referring to a man friend as "daddy" makes me want to drive my ass straight to therapy (or confession...whichever is closest). So, seriously, who thought this was sexy? Why would I want a guy looking at me and immediately thinking "mom!" Oedipal complex much? DEAL. BREAKER. I have a name and if you haven't asked it yet there are a vast number of adjectives you could in the meantime. Check your birth certificate-if my name does not appear, you don't get to call me "momma."

No comments:

Post a Comment