Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Shit That Sucks.

My good friend, Deanna, has a very funny blog entitled "Shit That Sucks." In this blog she rants about daily frustrations that we all face that really just, well, suck. Well today I am taking a page from D's book and going to tell you about something that sucks (and I think you'll agree). 


As some of you may know, quite a few of my close friends attend Texas A&M University. When applying for colleges I didn't think about a big school like A&M because I just felt like it wasn't my scene, that I wouldn't fit in there. So naturally I picked a small liberal arts school that happens to be the most expensive university on the planet (yeah ok, I'm sure Johns Hopkins is more expensive but, let's face it, it's not like I was ever going to go there. I'm not Joseph Martin). So I get to St. Edward's and it's a fantastic school! I love my professors, I like the majority of my classes and it's a very small campus so the class sizes are perfect at around 25-30 students. But it's hard as hell to make friends. That sounds laaaame and like I'm throwing my own pity party, but it's true. If you're not a hipster you can't hang out with the hipsters because you don't ride a fixed gear and shop at Urban Outfitters. And if you're not 21 and don't have a fake ID you can't hang out with anyone that goes downtown on a regular basis because you'll end up sitting at home bored while everyone else goes out. 


So sometimes I get down about my lack of a life and I start thinking "maybe I'll just transfer to A&M." This notion makes total sense: I have friends at A&M, everyone there is exceptionally nice and friendly, I love going to football games, it turns out that maroon is indeed in my color wheel, it's about half the cost of St. Ed's, the cost of living is also cut in half and let's not forget $4 movies. Sounds like a great decision, right? Not so much. You see, I've looked into transferring before and I knew that going from a private university to a public university would mean that some of my classes wouldn't transfer. Tonight I discovered a course equivalency guide that you just type in the class at St. Ed's and the database tells you whether or not it transfers. So I printed out my transcript and got to comparing. 


After this summer session I'll have a total of 70 meaning that I will be 5 hours short of completing the first semester of my junior year. Now I'll give you a minute to just take a guess as to how many of those hours will transfer. Go ahead, take your best guess. Give up? Ok, I'll tell ya. 42. 42 transferrable hours. That would make me 3 hours shy of completing the first semester of my sophomore year. In case you didn't keep up with all that, it means that the last year of my life would have been for nothing. I would be set to graduate in December of 2013 when at this point I should be graduating in December 2012. THAT REALLY SUCKS. Like, really. It sucks. 


So I can officially never transfer to A&M. But that's not going to stop me from sleeping on my best friend, Alison's floor in College Station for the duration of my college career. I mean who else is going to watch chick flicks and eat raw cookie dough with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment