Monday, February 21, 2011

I Don't Want No Scrub

I just want to talk about a couple things I find flawed with the logistics of the modern day dating scene. First of all, the next guy that makes an unoriginal pass at me in the HEB parking lot is going to get a black eye. Because seriously, that's getting old. Quoting mainstream pop/rap lyrics as a come on will give me a hell of an anecdote to tell at parties, but it's really not going to sweep me off my feet. What's with that? I don't listen to Ludacris and think to myself "Man, that guy really understands romance. I sure wish a dude would rap that to me later." What happened to the good old fashioned art of walking up to someone and introducing yourself. When did that become lame, because I think I missed the memo. And guys-don't yell profane "compliments" to a girl from a car window. Especially from the passenger side window. Because that probably means you don't drive and we don't want to get on that. So my ass might look nice in these jeans, but I'm not driving yours around in my car.
If you want to come at me with song lyrics, this is what it should look like.
(Trench coat optional.)

Something I have seen lately in my own life and in the lives of others is a lack of respect on dates. And I'm not saying anyone is being overtly mean, but technology is sort of taking over. I was out the other night and I saw a couple on a date. They looked pretty comfortable so I'm guessing it wasn't a first, but still, a date's a date. The guy checked his phone a grand total of nine times in the twenty minute period that I saw him. Unless there is some sort of emergency (in which case you shouldn't really be on a date anyways) PUT YOUR PHONE AWAY. The world will continue if you go radio silent for all of an hour. I promise. Even Facebook will continue to operate in your absence. I suggest reading this post called A Gentleman's Guide to The 21st Century taken from the blog Make It Mad. Highly instructive.

Maybe I'm just being a Bitter Betty, but I don't think I'm asking too much here. Let's just all get our shit together and treat each other right.

No comments:

Post a Comment